Re: named setup problems

"Jens B. Jorgensen" <jjorgens@bdsinc.com> writes:
>You don't *need* two different files. I don't understand why you do. Just
>go ahead and make your named the authoritative name server for carpanet.
>Forward other requests outside. This should work just fine. Why is it you
>think you need two configurations?

    With that setup, you have to wait for a timeout if your not connected
    to your ISP [the outside] for things that your not authoritative for.
    The above suggestion is perfectly fine if you are sure your not going
    to try and resolve an external address when your not connected.

    I think what he wants is a way to configure it so that he's a root server
    serving his internal zone when the connection isn't there, and a primary
    server serving the internal zone, but delegating to the roots for things
    they don't know about when he is there.

    You would want virtually the same configuration except:

    - When connected:  You would have the typical root cache hints file.
    - When not connected: Instead of the root cache hints file, you would
      be primary for the root [as I explained in a previous message].

    For an example of someones configuration, check out the discussion
    last week [or so] which was a similar thing.  He had an autodialer,
    and it was connecting to his ISP when it shouldn't.

                                            -Jeff

   |     Jeff Schreiber       | System administrators are, of course,  |
   |     aka - "Spectre"      | incorruptible.  You can offer me any   |
   | schreiber@mx.process.com | amount of money.  And you can believe  |
   |                          | me, because I'm always right, and I    |
   |                          | never lie.                             |
   |                          |     (Paul Sand - pas@unh.edu)          |