Re: connecting debian to win98

*-darkmoon (16 Jul)
| Hi there,
|
| i've installed debian 1.3 today w/ just minimum install. i wonder if any
| knows how to connect it via ethernet card(isa) to my win98? do i need
| special package or appz?
| network setting: linux                                            win98
|     ip:                192.168.1.2
| 192.168.1.1
|     gateway        192.168.1.1                                none
|     dns                       "
| none
|

| both ethernet card are working if i connect win98 <-> win98

For file and resource sharing you want the samba package.  Once you
install the Debian package you need to read all the man pages and the
doc's in /usr/doc/samba as well as the (mini-)HOWTO's in
/usr/doc/HOWTO.  You should also check out the Samba web pages.  There
is a modification you need to do to the Win98 registry to change the
password encryption behavior, it should be in the docs
somewhere.

If you want to use the linux box as a gateway for the internet you need
to look into IP-Masquerading.  It is a kernel option.  Read the
(mini-)HOWTO's, they are pretty good.

Have fun,

Brian