Re: Dead keys in X.

Jens B. Jorgensen writes:
 > I'd like to help you out, and I'll try to do so. I think you can get the X's XKB to do
 > your bidding in this case, but I'm not sure. Pardon my ignorance but what are 'dead
 > keys'?

Thank you for your attention.

Dead keys are keys that don't get processed when typed, but wait for the next
key to decide which code must be generated. This is what emacs
iso-accents-mode does.

As an exemple, consider you want to get the "á". When you type the acute no
code is generated, the keyboard waits the next key. If it is something that
could be composed with the acute accent then the keyboard delivers the
accented character (then if you type a you'll get á). If it doesn't make sense
to compose the keyboard delivers the acute followed by the next keystroke.

I am not sure if this can be accomplished by using XKB. I have already read
something over the net that X doesn't support dead keys directly (but the
text was rather technical and I couldn't understand completely). Another point
is that the authors of diacrd patch seem to understand what they were doing
(in fact they criticize their solution, saying that the patch should be better
written using modules and so). Anyway if we can get XKB to do it for me it
would be great and I could share the solution with some people I know that is
having the same problem.

Paulo.