Re: linux + win95: linux boot partition/

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 08:39:00AM -0400, Richardson,Anthony wrote:
> The 1024 problem is a very "real" one.
Please, it really occurs in very few systems/configurations. It had been a
problem for me occasinally because of some older mainboards lying around
here. It is no problem with harddisks and mainboards bought over the last
three years.

> Some BIOSes allow you to choose whether translation should be done with
> settings like "Large" or "LBA" for other BIOSes translation is on by
> default.
All BIOSes I saw until now gave me the LBA option which I choose.
See below.

> Only LILO uses the BIOS so only LILO needs to know what
> (translated) disk geometry the BIOS is using. (Well fdisk
> needs to know the translated geometry when creating new
> partitions if you want to maintain compatibility with other
> OSes.)  LILO gets the disk geometry from the kernel. For
> some systems the kernel doesn't default to the same geometry
> that the BIOS uses. You can fix this by 1) passing the BIOS
> geometry to the kernel as a boot option, 2) telling LILO
> the BIOS geometry through LILO config options, 3)using LILO's
> "linear" option which causes LILO to record linear sector
> numbers in the map file instead of cylinder/head/sector
> locations. I prefer option 1) because fdisk will also use the
> "correct" geometry. Option 3) just postpones conversion of sector
> numbers to C/H/S locations until boot time (when LILO can get
> the BIOS geometry directly from the BIOS). It doesn't solve
> the 1024 cylinder problem (which is a 528 MB or an 8 GB
> problem depending on your BIOS).
The last sentence is wrong. In case of LBA, BIOS as well as LILO to use
linear sector numbers. The conversion is made in the drive itself, in a way
noone else needs to be interested in.

In short: Select LBA in the BIOS and linear als lilo option. Thats it.

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *