Printing .tex files

I have Debian vers. 1.3 and an old Citizen GSX 140 printer.  I am attempting
to print a .tex file.

I assume my printer does not have a postscript interpreter.  Therefore, as I
understand it, the steps needed to print a .tex file are:
           1) convert .tex to .dvi with "latex filename.tex"
           2) convert .dvi to .ps with "dvips -o filename.ps filename.dvi"
           3) print .ps with ghostview/ghostscript.

The last step ,#3, is where I am having problems.  From the command line, if
I type
 "gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=printer -sOutputFile=\|lpr filename.ps"

I get "unknown device".  If I omit the "-sDEVICE" it opens a ghostscript
screen and prints it there, with nothing happening at the printer.

If I open "ghostview filename.ps" it seems to treat it as .dvi file.  Then
when I try to print, it asks for the printer device, and I press o.k. to a
blank entry.
The program then prints, with the 'default device', I guess.  (It would be
helpful to know what that is.)  But since ghostview treats the file as a .dvi
the printer output is unintelligible.  I think, the same as if I typed
"lpr filename.dvi".

At the 'gs' prompt, if I type 'devicenames ==' I get numerous options which
don't seem to work. (e.g I tried 'epson').  Am I missing a driver?  Since
'lpr' works, it wouldn't seem so.

I'm a bit confused, but it probably has a simple answer.
******

A second problem is the .tex file I'm eventually going to print is 310 pages
long, so I will need some way of printing small parts of the file.
Ghostview has the 'mark page' and 'print marked pages' options, which would
be great, except for the above problem of ghostview not recognizing my .ps file.

Possibly there are options on the ">gs ....  filename.ps" command line that
will segment the output.

Also, I noticed several relevant options in the command
 ">dvips ...filename.dvi".

What is the best way to do this?

*******

A third question just tacked on here.  I found a file "/root/screen.xwd"
about 1MB in size which I have no idea where it came from.  Can I safely
delete this? Or does it have a purpose I'm not aware of?

*******

Thanks for any help someone might have.

Dennis Dixon
P.O. Box 1896