Re: [andrmuel@rz.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE: 'rm' doesn't terminat anymore]

On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 10:57:24AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Andreas Mueller <andrmuel@rz.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE> -----

[snip copious headers]

> I have used the program cdda2wave.
> I gues that it will create big files (about 50MB and more).
> After my tryings I deleted my big files:
>
> rm "big file"
>
> But rm doesen terminate. I couldn't kill or stop it.
> I try'd to shut down the system but it didn't work.
> More and more systempower becomes eaten by the rm-programm.. :-(

Linux can take a *long* time to delete large files (I havn't had any
problems personally even with 230MB files (a recursive grep piped to the
current directory ;-))  I believe that rm also starts taking large amounts
of memory up too.  This could cause your machine to swap heavily - have a
look at "vmstat -n1".

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution