RE: Two Questions

Maybe I can help with the boot problem.  Debian doesn't use LILO
as a MBR boot manager. They use a program known just as MBR. (At
least this is true for the bo release, is it true for hamm?) I'm
not quite sure why LILO isn't used as the MBR boot manager, because
it appears to be superior to MBR in many ways.  Anyway, LILO,
when installed as an MBR boot manager can boot Linux on a second
drive, the MBR program can't. If you want to install LILO as MBR
you can do what I did. Just make a boot floppy. Use it to start
Linux and then configure LILO to be installed as MBR.

It sounds as if you'd rather start Linux through the NT Loader
(a boot sector loader instead of an MBR loader). To do this make a
LILO config file that installs LILO as a boot sector loader on your
Linux partition. Then copy the boot sector
(dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1) to your NT Loader
partition and modify your boot.ini file or use bootpart to do all
of this for you. Everytime you install
a new kernel you will need to re-run LILO and copy the boot sector
to the NT partition.

Sorry I can't help with the more serious boot failure problem.

Good luck,
Tony Richardson