RE: pascal.+development

You can find a new version of gpc in experimental.  It uses
egcs.  GPC should fit your needs quite well.  The version there
is "alpha" code, but is much more stable than the version that
you found using libc5.  There are a few bugs that are keeping it
from being released as the gpc 2.1 beta software.

There is an effort to develop an integrated development
environment similar to Borland's (RHIDE is the name IIRC).
But from what I have heard it needs a lot of work.

There may also be some emacs guru's who have similar functionality
(ide environment) available.

Pat