Re: Iomega Ditto tape unreliable?

On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 10:59:29AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> A lot of errors start showing.  Over the weekend I was trying to restore
> from a recently made backup which was made using dump.  Restore ran for a
> few hours without restoring a single file from the selection I made and in
> the end gave up with a hardware error notice.

What is the /dev device name for this? does it look like a standard
tape drive (ie my tape drive is nst0 and st0 )?
What was teh command line you used to backup?

> Is there hope for a reliable backup and restore program in Linux?  I have
> tried tob, tbackup, dump and restore and no one so far could give me the
> impression that the system is reliable.

ok try this....(this example assumes the drive is /dev/st0 ...adjust to
suit it)

mt /dev/st0 retension  # this retensions the tape, dunno if the diitto needs
                       # it but my drive does
tar czlvf /dev/st0 /   # compressed - can't auto-verify compressed archives
                       # with tar
OR
tar cWlvf /dev/st0    # uncompressed AND verify

Then to restore:
tar xvf /dev/st0

This works for me with my tape drive every time
Mine however is NOT a ditto so...YMMV. Mine is a Segate T*Store Travan-4
SCSI tape drive (4 gig uncompressed)...
You might want to try not using mt to retension first...if you get errors
try again with it... I find that I need it and get errors without it
(but 4 gig tapes are rather long tapes and more suceptable to stretching)

if this works then there is something wrong with how you are invoking your
backups
NB: the above incantations ofr tar took me some time to come up with
if you have multiple partitions (ie /usr or /home on a differnet partition
from /) then you need to list it ie
if /home is on a differnt partition from / then:
tar <options> / /home
reason: tar option l only follows the local filesystem (to avoid trying
to archive /proc which doesn't really exist on disk...when you
have 128 MB of physical ram like I do...archiving /proc/kcore is a big
deal ;) )

-Steve

--
/* -- Stephen Carpenter <sjc@delphi.com> ------------------------------ */
A favorite quote from a source I forget: