Re: Mouse not working

Hi there,

Firstly I should mention that you should download and install the VGA-16 xserver so
that you can just type XF86Setup to set up the mouse and everything else. That said,
it sounds like you have either not compiled PS/2 mouse support into your kernel or you
didn't install the module for PS/2 mouse support during the initial install of Debian.
It is located in the 'misc' section during the 'configure the base system' part of the
install. If support is in the kernel then /dev/psaux should be the device name for the
PS/2 mouse, at least 99% of the time as far as I know.

Now if you did forget to do this during the initial install of Debian then as far as I
know you'll have to either:

a) reinstall Debian, which might not be a bad idea if you haven't installed a whole
lot of software yet.
b) recompile the kernel.

If you want to recompile the kernel, download the kernel-source and kernel-package
packages and install them and then do this:

$ cd /usr/src/kernel-source*
$ make menuconfig                          (this is much nicer to use than 'make
config')
$ make-kpkg kernel-image
$ cd ..
$ dpkg -i kernel-image*

That should do the trick to get your mouse going.

Chris