colorize emacs in console?

Is there any way to have the equivalent of "Meta-X font-lock-mode" in
emacs from the console (versus X)?  That is, maybe an addon package of
sorts, where I can have emacs in color and not have to be in X.

Especially for coding, it's nice to have the different things
colorized as they are with font-lock-mode when running X in emacs, but
it can't be done in text mode...  I'd like to know if there is a way.
It seems like it should be possible, isn't emacs built with ncurses?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Matt