Virtual packages ...

Greets,
	So I recently installed debian over a heavily hacked and modified
slackware configuration, after some bizzare set of cirumstances left me
without a /usr/lib directory on the system.
	So I installed the 1.3.x version of debian from the infomagic CDs,
and then updated everything to hamm.  However, I ran into a glitch.  I
don't like smail.  My old system ran qmail, so I installed and am
currently using qmail quite happily.
	However, I updated the smail package accidentally, which caused
the sendmail symlink to be overwritten by smail which left me without the
ability to send mail for a day or so until I realized what happened.

	I wasn't happy, to say the least.

	Now the problem is that to remove smail, I'm left with a hanging
dependency for an MTA, and the current qmail deb file isn't up to date.
So what I'd like to do is tell dselect / apt / dpkg somehow that the MTA
dependency is "taken care of, don't worry about it".  I'm not quite sure
how to go about that.

	Can anyone lend a clue?

-Seth

--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"