RE: name resolution

You might check to see if you actually have nsswitch installed.
I think at hpux 9.x it was a patch that you had to get.  Unless you have
the patch, you can only go to hosts or dns but not both.  It's a one
or the other situation.  From your description, it sounds like you
don't have the patch installed.  Check out patch PHNE_4563.  It has
been a long time (Oct 94) and there may be newer patches.

It's painful, but better if you can upgrade to hpux 10.

jim