Re: Upgrade problems..

Bob, thanks for the information..

I wish this was in the autoup.sh documentation!

Watching the recent traffic on upgrade problems, and issues makes me wonder..
One concluded that it isin't automatic, and you really have to know all the
dependencies, that dselect will only have shallow knowledge of local
dependencies.

This raises the question, how much Unix expertise do you need to be able to
live with Linux, Debian..?
In fact, a lot of the dependencies are not Unix general, but specific to a
particular environment, Emacs, man, troff, X11, etc...

Are we at the simplest way? what is next? I know our Solaris system does
not have any upgrades this complex. I am not sure how they manage their
upgrades...

Gregory Guthrie

At 04:10 PM 7/9/98 -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
>
>> I just did an upgrade bo --> hamm using autoup.sh.
>>
>> Amazing. But, there are a number of steps which left me cold; and flipping
>> a coin for the right action.

>Take a look at the autoup.sh script itself.  It should give you
>a fairly clear picture at what it is attempting to do and possibly the
>means to understand what is happening here.
>
>You need to run ...
>Then when you run .....
>At this point, you should probably run ...
>You might have to run ... more than once to resolve things.

Dr. Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (515)472-1125    Fax: -1103
       Computer Science Department
       College of Science and Technology
       Maharishi University of Management
      (Maharishi International University 1971-1995)