Re: Smail Configuration

> Hi ,
>  I have a mail account at my ISP which is SMTP. Can somebody please explain to me how to set up smail so that I can send and receive mails from my machine...Right now, I am using netscape mail, but not very comfy with that. (I did look at the HOWTO, but can not make head or tail out of it)

I am using smail and fetchmail. It is working, altough I have to add a
Reply-To field becuase the recpiants can't find my machine from the Internet.
Note that my machine is called rakefet. I am the user shaul. My ISP login name
is beitamos and my ISP's mail server is mail.inter.net.il
Hope it will help.

1) A script of /usr/sbin/smailconfig for my system is:

Script started on Fri Jun  5 03:04:54 1998
rakefet# /usr/sbin/smailconfig
Your mail system (Smail) is already configured; I'll leave the
existing configuration untouched.  Use --force to ignore it.
rakefet# /usr/sbin/smailconfig --force
Ignoring existing Smail configuration.

I can do certain kinds of automatic configuration of your mail system, by
asking you a number of questions.  Later you may to confirm and/or correct
your answers.  In any case, comprehensive information on configuring Smail is
in smail(5) and in /usr/doc/smail/examples and /usr/doc/smail/guide.

You must choose one of the options below:
 (1) Internet site: you send and receive Internet mail on this
    machine, using SMTP over TCP/IP.
 (2) UUCP to smarthost (upstream site):
    You send and receive mail via UUCP; outbound mail is sent to your
    smarthost (probably your service provider) for routing and delivery.
 (3) Satellite system:
    No mail is to be delivered or routed here.  Any mail generated
    on this system is sent to a central mail switch using SMTP.
 (4) Local delivery only:
    You are not on a network.  Mail for local users is delivered.
 (5) No configuration:
    No configuration will be done now; your mail system will be broken and
    should not be used.  You must then do the configuration yourself later or
    run this script, /usr/sbin/smailconfig, as root.
Select a number from 1 to 5, from the list above.
Enter value (default=`1', `x' to restart): 1

What is the `visible' mail name of your system ?
This will appear on From: lines of outgoing messages.
Enter value (default=`rakefet', `x' to restart): rakefet

Does this system have any other names which may appear on incoming
mail messages, apart from the visible name above (rakefet)
and the system's hostname (rakefet) ?
If so enter them here, separated with spaces or commas.  If there are
none, say `none'.
Enter value (default=`none', `x' to restart): none

Do you have a smarthost available (and accessible via SMTP) ?

A smarthost is a system to which you forward mail you don't want to
deliver yourself; it presumably has better connectivity or routing
information than you do.  Commercial providers usually provide a
smarthost for their customers, and large organisations will often have
a site mail switch which can be used.  Use of a smarthost is strongly
recommended (you'll be able to specify exactly when to use it soon).

If a smarthost is available please enter its name (otherwise, `none').
Enter value (`x' to restart): mail.inter.net.il

Do you wish to use the smarthost for:
 (1) All outbound mail.  This is good if your system is poorly
    connected, eg via dialup SLIP, as you don't have to talk
    to distant machines yourself, and it allows you to send out
    just one copy of a message for all its the remote recipients.
 (2) Mail that you have failed to find a way to route.  This
    means that mail for any unknown hosts or domains will be
    sent to the smarthost in the hope that it will know better;
    if it doesn't the smarthost should bounce it back to you.
    This is recommended for most situations, and usually results
    in faster end-to-end delivery than always using the smarthost.
 (3) Only mail to the `awkward' UUCP and BITNET domains.
    These domains don't appear in the Internet routing tables,
    and how to reach them varies depending on your location.
    Use this if your smarthost's admin has asked you to avoid using
    the smarthost unnecessarily, or if it is unreliable or very slow.
Select a number from 1 to 3, from the list above.
Enter value (default=`2', `x' to restart): 1

Mail for the `postmaster' and `root' accounts is usually redirected
to one or more user accounts, of the actual system administrators.
By default, I'll set things up so that mail for `postmaster' and for
various system accounts is redirected to `root', and mail for `root'
is redirected to a real user.  This can be changed by editing /etc/aliases.

Note that postmaster-mail should usually be read on the system it is
directed to, rather than being forwarded elsewhere, so (at least one of)
the users you choose should not redirect their mail off this machine.

Which user account(s) should system administrator mail go to ?
Enter one or more usernames separated by spaces or commas .  Enter
`none' if you want to leave this mail in `root's mailbox - NB this
is strongly discouraged.  Also, note that usernames should be lowercase !
Enter value (`x' to restart): shaul

The following configuration has been entered:

Mail generated on this system will have `rakefet' used
as the host part (after the @) in the From: field and similar places.

The following hostname(s) will be recognised as referring to this system:
 rakefet

Mail for postmaster, root, etc. will be sent to shaul.

Local mail is delivered.

Outbound remote mail is sent to mail.inter.net.il
via SMTP and TCP/IP (using any MX records in the DNS).

Is this OK ?  Hit Return or type `y' to confirm it and install,
or `n' to make changes (in which case we'll go round again, giving you
your previous answers as defaults.     (y/n) y

Configuration installed.

Would you like to send a test message now ?  Select one of:

 Return or Y  Yes, test offsite delivery with a message to Harald Alvestrand's
               Linux Counter project - you should then receive an autoreply
               to postmaster@rakefet.

              Do not use this option until mail routing to your machine has
               been properly enabled, please !

     L        Just a local message from root@rakefet
               to postmaster@rakefet.

     N        No, thanks.  (You can do this later using /usr/sbin/smailtest.)

Send a test message now ?  (y/l/n)    l

Test message sent.

rakefet# exit
exit

Script done on Fri Jun  5 03:06:06 1998

2) My .fetchmailrc file is

# ~/.fetchmailrc

poll mail.inter.net.il protocol pop3
	username beitamos, with password <your_password>, is shaul here;