Re: Moving from Ethernet to modem

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Ted Cabeen wrote:

> When I set my system up on Debian, it was connected directly to an ethernet
> link, so the entire system is set up to expect connections.  Now, I've
> had to move away from my direct connection and I need to close out all
> of the systems that rely on that connection being there, like apache and
> xntpd.  Which standard programs should I be removing or shutting down?
> Eventually, we're planning on setting up a system for ip masquerading and
> on-demand ppp dialing by a gateway for the entire apartment, and I don't
> want my machine starting or keeping that connection up too much.  Thoughts?

My machine at home is just a backup system from work which I need to be
able to use at short notice. I have copies of /etc/init.d/network for
home and work. The only substantial difference: GATEWAY= is hashed out
at home. (Insubstantial difference: I have a 168 network alias to plug my
wife's laptop into.)

Obviously I leave a terminated T-piece in the NIC.

I just ignore the occasional daemonic howls of protest.

I raise ppp myself, rather than on demand, as I'm the only user.

Cheers,