Re: Problem installing a package with dpkg

Katharine Osborne wrote:

> I'm trying to install the xlib6g package and am
> getting the following error:
>
> dpkg: error processing xlib6g_3.3.2.2-1.deb
> (--install):
>  trying to overwrite
> '/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.3', which is also in
> package xlib6
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal
> (Broken pipe)
>  xlib6g_3.3.2.2-1.deb
>
> I've been through all the man/--help pages and I
> have no idea how to fix/avoid this. If you have
> any suggestions, please email me.
>
> thanks in advance.

	Do what David said.  xlibc6 (based on libc5) is the older version of the
support libraries in xlib6g (based on libc6, otherwise known as glibc2; thus
the 'g').  It is unfortunate that both use '6' in their name, but thats the
way it is.  If you are running a hamm (debian v2.0) system or are trying to
upgrade to v2, then the xlib6g is the important one.  If you have older X
software that needs the libc5 version, get xlib6 from the 'oldlibs' section
of the hamm (v2) distribution (it won't conflict with xlib6g).  If you
update all your existing software to their equivalent libc6 version though,
you shouldn't need xlib6 (I have only xlib6g).
	Again, it you are really running a hamm system, you can delete the existing
xlib6, install xlib6g, and if you need compatibility with older software,
you can install the hamm version of xlib6 from the 'oldlibs' section.
	FYI: if you are not running a hamm system (or trying to upgrade to one)
then you shouldn't be trying to use xlib6g.

--
Ed