Re: How do I get exim to work?

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Jaakko Niemi wrote:

> As root exim -bp shows the queue.

I re-installed exim (I think for the last time now).  I can see the queue.
All the messages are reported to be frozen.  Eximon does show some
messages.

>  This is because you are running as user, and you do not have permissions
>  to /var/log/exim. As the files are owned mail.mail add yourself to
>  group mail
>  and you should be able to run eximon right.

I did that and at least eximon showed something, but nothing that made me
more wise about what is going on.

Thank you for all your trouble.  Earlier in this list I queried the
correctness of somebody's mentioning of an "upgrade" to smail. I had a lot
of responses and some of the responses convinced me to try once again.

I have now, over the last weeks removed smail, installed exim , removed
exim , reinstalled smail about 6 times.  I have had no success so far.

Maybe I will try once (only once ) again when I have Debian 2.0.  I do not
have time to waste like this.  I want to convince my friends to use Linux.
I will keep them away from programs like exim until it can be installed to
work the first time.

Regards.

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg       |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek
      after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all
      the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD,
      and to inquire in his temple."
                               Psalms 27:4