Re: installing a modem under debian 1.3

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, scott hussey wrote:

> I am a very novice Linux/Debian user and am trying to setup minicom.  I am
> curious about how to get minicom to recognize my modem. I read in the man
> page that most linux systems have the serial port as /dev/modem or
> /dev/cua#. How can I get Linux to install my modem as a dev. Currently,
> pppd recognizes my modem as ttys2, but minicom gives me the message 'I/O
> Error' when it tries to open ttys2. Any help is greatly appreciated.

so I'm no expert here, but I certainly had to go through alot to get my modem
to work with debian (but then, I use a laptop with pcmcia card modem :-) ).

I think you mean /dev/ttyS2. The serial ports are /dev/ttyS# and equal com port
numbers minus one (i.e. com1 = /dev/ttyS0, etc). My modem card installs at com2
so I use /dev/ttyS1. I have been told that /dev/cua# is deprecated and that
docs using /dev/cua# are out of date (sigh ...).

I'm pretty sure that /dev/modem is just a symbolic link (at least it is on my
machine) so to make /dev/modem type

	ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem

you also need to check to make sure that /dev/ttyS2 is set for the proper irq
and port # for your modem. read the docs that came with your modem and check to
see what irq it's expecting to use and what memory address and then type

	setserial -a /dev/ttyS2

and see what it says. If not, you can use setserial to change those values
(read the man pages on setserial), or you can check to see if one of the other
serial ports is actually the one you want (setserial -a /dev/ttyS0, etc). If
your modem is internal, debian should be able to detect it on start-up since it
detects most serial ports on startup but I'm not sure since again I use a
laptop and usually my modem isn't in one of my card slots on bootup. At any
rate you can see which ports where detected by typing

	dmesg

after startup and logging in. You'll get a list of devices detected at startup
and other messages too.

I'm sure someone else here can give you alot more info (probably more accurate
too), but this is my attempt.

HTH

	- John Kloss