Re: suggest a backup media

--------------7BE984DB336DF87C1D62E44C

Hi!
I remember reading a comparison between backuping technics in PCmag or Byte,
in the previous 4 months. Check their older issues. The article did a good job.
sasha.

the lone gunman wrote:

> I'm unsure of what backup media I should go with for my Linux system.
> I have a 4 gig harddrive.
>
> I'm thinking about CD-R or Travan-4 tape backup.  I'm pulling hairs,
> though, trying to determine which is better (for me, anyway).  I'd
> like to go with DAT, but the drives are too expensive.
>
> There are scsi CD-R drives for around $400 or so, and the HP T4
> (Travan 4) internal scsi tape unit is about the same as for price (I
> think).  I cannot afford to go any higher.
>
> CD-R seems a better route, with the low media costs, and that most
> cd-roms can read my backups.  Retrieval would also be considerably
> faster.
>
> But, I read a long FAQ about CD-R, and the Linux Cd-writing howto, and
> CD burning makes me nervous because it's so sensitive.  I'm worried cd
> backups may fail, and my computer is probably pretty useless while I'm
> burning.  One 4 gig Travan-4 tape would pretty much do me, and the
> process is a bit simpler.  Plus, I don't think there's too much of a
> difference in write speed for CD-R and scsi Travan-4.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Perhaps a link to a backup
> comparison site or something?  (Since this topic has probably been
> beaten to death!).
>
> Thanks!
> Matt
>
> --

--------------7BE984DB336DF87C1D62E44C

<HTML>
Hi!
<BR>I remember reading a comparison between backuping technics in <A
HREF="www.pcmag.com">PCmag</A>
or <A HREF="www.byte.com">Byte</A>,
<BR>in the previous 4 months. Check their older issues. The article did
a good job.
<BR>sasha.

<P>the lone gunman wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I'm unsure of what backup media I should go with
for my Linux system.
<BR>I have a 4 gig harddrive.

<P>I'm thinking about CD-R or Travan-4 tape backup.&nbsp; I'm pulling hairs,
<BR>though, trying to determine which is better (for me, anyway).&nbsp;
I'd
<BR>like to go with DAT, but the drives are too expensive.

<P>There are scsi CD-R drives for around $400 or so, and the HP T4
<BR>(Travan 4) internal scsi tape unit is about the same as for price (I
<BR>think).&nbsp; I cannot afford to go any higher.

<P>CD-R seems a better route, with the low media costs, and that most
<BR>cd-roms can read my backups.&nbsp; Retrieval would also be considerably
<BR>faster.

<P>But, I read a long FAQ about CD-R, and the Linux Cd-writing howto, and
<BR>CD burning makes me nervous because it's so sensitive.&nbsp; I'm worried
cd
<BR>backups may fail, and my computer is probably pretty useless while
I'm
<BR>burning.&nbsp; One 4 gig Travan-4 tape would pretty much do me, and
the
<BR>process is a bit simpler.&nbsp; Plus, I don't think there's too much
of a
<BR>difference in write speed for CD-R and scsi Travan-4.

<P>Can anyone offer any suggestions?&nbsp; Perhaps a link to a backup
<BR>comparison site or something?&nbsp; (Since this topic has probably
been
<BR>beaten to death!).

<P>Thanks!
<BR>Matt

<P>--
<BR>To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
<BR>with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
listmaster@lists.debian.org</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>