Re: help: ethernet doesn't work

Did you set up the routing properly?  If you don't have your gateway set
up correctly you won't get far.  Your service provider ought to have told
you a gateway (aka a router) to use.

l8r, Nate

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Wimme wrote:

> Yo all-
>
> I already posted in the list about this, still didn't find the solution,
> but now I've got more specs, so I hope someone can help.
>
> Herez the prob: I have a 3Com Etherlink III (3c509) ISA card, static IP
> and a cable modem. I can't seem to connect to the internet. Problem is
> that my card is detected and configured correctly (without doubt) and even
> runs fine, but I can't get on the net. I tried a Realtek PCI card, that
> was detected and confed just fine as well, but didn't connect me either.
> So it's not the HW.
>
> When I ping my nameserver, none of the packets sent are returned. When I
> ping myself, there's no problem. I can't ping ANYTHING except my own IP.
> Nameservers are 134.58.127.1 and 134.58.126.3. The output of 'ifconfig
> eth0' is the following:
>
> eth0	Link encap: Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:27:6E:F1
> 	inet addr: 10.64.0.18  bcast:10.64.15.255  mask: 255.255.240.0
> 	UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> 	Rx packets:0  errors:0  droppped:0  overruns:0
> 	Tx packets:0  errors:0  droppeed:0  overruns:0
> 	Interrupt:10  Base address:0x300
>
> This is the output of ifconfig run right after startup. The card and
> settings work perfectly ok in Winnt 4.0 and Win95, so the settings are
> correct. I furthermore have no access whatsoever to the 'net, not by
> telnet, ftp, http...I used debian 2.0, FreeBSD and am now (as it was the
> last install I performed) using redhat 5.1, but I plan to return to debian
> asap. This only to illustrate that I have the same problem, no matter what
> distributions (and modules) I choose...
>
> I am really absolutely stumped about this, and just can't live with just
> accepting that it won't work :) Is there anyone experiencing the same
> problems, and especially someone who can help me out?
>
> Thanks a thousand times for any help,
> Wim
>

> --

---
Nathan C. Burnett              "Everyone is born right-handed, but
nate@acm.org                      only the greatest overcome it."
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~burnet26    -Slogan, Left-Handers' Club of Ireland
            ( ( (((In Stereo Where Available))) ) )