Re: xterm-debian exported as terminal type

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> I'm not sure exactly when this started, but it seems to have been shortly
> after the freeze.

Since the latest XFree86 packages to be more precise.

> When I telnet to another machine with an xterm (e.g., "xterm -e telnet abc.def
> &"), it informs the remote machine that terminal type is "xterm-debian" rather
> than "xterm".  Other machines do not recognize this, and resort to dumb
> terminal settings.

It also annoys me a lot, but it appears that there are higher powers at
work here.  IIRC it is some sort of policy even and it is related to the
problems that Debian has been having with keymappings in xterms.  At
least the backspace key works for me now.

> I've tried setting TERM to xterm, and tried an export in my .xsession to no
> avail.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?

Try "xterm -e TERM=xterm telnet abc.def" as a short "term" kludge.
Another option is to globally alias telnet to "TERM=xterm telnet".

Cheers,

Joost