ACK! xdm & kdm hate me!

Ok, this problem is driving me crazy. The short story is that the drive that my
/usr partition lived on died. This left me without many important binaries, and
a package database which did not accurately reflect the state of the filesystem.
So, after many days of manually downloading and re-installing all the packages I
had installed prior to the crash, I thought I was ok. However, xdm/kdm just
refuse to work properly. When an X server makes a broadcast XDMCP query, [x|k]dm
responds and I get a login window, I log in, and the X server resets. And I
don't see much in the way of [x|k]dm logs to track down what's going wrong.
Local sessions (eg startx) on the system work fine. Any hints?

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :