Re: xemacs-20 HTML mode

On Wed, Jul 08, 1998 at 03:11:43PM -0400, Paul Reavis wrote:
> "Stephen J. Carpenter" <sjc@debian.org> sez:

> >for some things ie <P> you can omit the close tag....for <LI>, <TABLE>
> >etc you really NEED the close tag
>
> Well, I appreciate your advice but please don't teach your grandpa to
> chew cheese :-)
>
> There are some tags which require closing - <table> is certainly one, as
> even parts of table like <td>. All can be inferred from context by human
> or machine; even really stinky old browsers from four years ago deal
> fine without them (assuming they even supported the tags, certainly not
> true for tables etc.).

This is not only logical but even conform to the SGML definition of HTML, as
can be easily proofed by the standard dtd files:

/usr/lib/sgml/html-3.dtd:
<!ELEMENT LI - O %flow; -- list item -->

/usr/lib/sgml/dtd/html-4.0-loose.dtd
<!ELEMENT LI - O (%flow;)*             -- list item -->

             ^ start tag must be present
               ^ end tag is "o"missible.

Paul, I would suggest you try "psgml"'s sgml mode, it does a better job,
makes your documents comply to html/sgml standard and knows what a DTD is
and how to parse it. It is probably more clever than your html mode.

Marcus