Re: What's a good video card?

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Shaleh wrote:

> ATI does NOT support Linux or Xfree in ANY way.  All users should
> boycott them in general.  Besides, the cards are CHEAP not inexpensive.
> There is a difference.  Spend the 20 extra bucks for a Matrox.  Or
> someone else's card.  The ATi all-in-one wonder card can not be used in
> Linux because they refuse to release any specs.  That is from Alan Cox,
> not me.

Thanks for info. I prefer to use hardware which is (1) supported by Linux
and (2) whose manufacturer cooperates with Linux Developers.
However, in considering a new video card I checked with with docs
the most recent XF86 FAQ at
    http://x.physics.usyd.edu.au/FAQ
which said that Mach64 RageII and other newer chips were suppored.
They did indicate problems with the Mach64 server with these
chips, which I assume would be worked out because the chips are new.

   (1) Have ATI changed their policy regarding cooperation with Linux?
       Or have they always been noncooperativer?
   (2) Can anyone recommend another inexpensive PCI
	board (< $100 US) with 8MB of 	memory that
       is well supported by Linux.

I want a PCI card with 8MB video ram for larger virtual screen.
I don't care about 3D as I don't play games.
I am now leaning to toward the Matrox Mystique even though
PCI Matrox Mystique comes with 4 MB and the 4MB memory upgrade
brings price slightly above my $100 limit  and I would rather
not have to stuff chips.

Thanks.
King Lee
-