RE: Firewallsetup

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 johannes.tyve@phosworks.se wrote:

> I do need (I think) to use real IP addresses because I need to have
> multiple web-servers (accessible from the Internet) inside the
> firewall that should be protected. I thought it was possible to tell
> my fw box to route all trafic between the two subnets.

route, no.  redirect or masquerade or proxy traffic, yes.

> Is it possible to route eg 192.12.12.202 to a host on the private
> network eg 192.168.2.202?

you could use redir or ipportfw or rinetd or similar programs to
transparently redirect connections to a certain host:port to another
machine.

e.g. set up an ip_alias on the linux box for 192.12.120.202, and then
configure one of the above programs to redirect/proxy/masquerade all
port 80 (www) connections for that IP address to 192.168.2.202

this may be your simplest solution.

all of the above mentioned programs are available as debian packages.
read the documentation for all of them to see which best suits your
needs. they are all in hamm. i think only redir was available for bo.

(i haven't used any of them, i only know of their existence...not the
details of how to configure them)

craig

--
craig sanders