where in the world is /usr/bin/rpc.bootparamd?

Hello!

I'm installing Debian Linux 1.3.1 the hard way, package by package, floppy by
flloppy.  Yes, i'm a masochist! :-)  But it is very instructive, since i have
never installed any Linux in my life. :-( The PC i'm trying to do this is a
dusty 486, w/o any network connections and w/o a CD-ROM.

I'd like to make it run LAM MPI, a message-passing environment for workstation
networks, in single node mode.  LAM MPI needs some TCP/IP services that i
tried to provide with the packages netbase and netstd.  The fact is it
complains about a missing /usr/bin/rpc.bootparamd.  Since i couldn't find it in
any package, i guess it is in the installation packages; possibly a misinformed
answer to an installation question prevented from being installed.  However, i
don't know which is the package that rpc.bootparamd belongs to, and wouldn't
like to install everything again, for obvious reasons. :-)

So, my two questions are:

1) is the above exposition true?  Does rpc.bootparamd really lie in some base
package that belongs to the installation?

2) how can i install it w/o having to reinstall everything i have in my dusty
and trusty 486 computer?

BTW two hurrahs for Debian Linux:

1) Debian is really easy to install.  Maybe even easier than Windows 95.  And
has more intelligent installer, i'm sure.

2) The dusty and trusty 486 was not a good computer to run Win95, but it had
its revival: it runs Linux very fast!

I thank you in advance!

Regards,
--Hilton

----
Hilton Fernandes
hfernandes@geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5657
URLs and help on C++ programming and Object-Oriented Design