Re: REPOST: Diald routing (Help!)

i'm having the same problem with slirp/ppp connection (connection gets
dropped).  pon scripts log in OK and slirp starts up but LCP negotiation
fails with error message "No Network Protocols Running"

tried disabling 'defaultroute' and adding the default route myself before
running pon, but doing 'route add default ppp0' results in message:

		SIOCADDRT:  Operation not supported by device

on another machine running an older version of linux (1.2/2.0.27) and
older version of ppp (2.2.0f) adding and deleting the default route
with 'route add/del default ppp0' works as it should and updates the
routing table.  any ideas about what's causing the error message above?

TIA--chea

> > Diald is already dialing when it should but the routing table is not
> > > being updated.
>
>    I've had the same problem.  Somewhere (either a HOWTO or a Linux Journal article) I
> found advice about setting the routing manually.  This is what I'm doing now.
>
>    In /etc/ppp/ip-up (the script) I put a
> route del default
> route add default $1
>    in just above the run-parts line.  This forces the default route to be made.
>
>    Similarly, in /etc/ppp/ip-down I do a
> route del default
> route add default gw 207.140.8.1 metric 1
>    also just before the run-parts command (perhaps that should be below it).
> 207.140.8.1 is just my ISP's gateway IP number.
>
>    Once doing this, this cleared up all of my diald routing problems.
>
> > > Is there any problem with diald that prevents it from working out of the
> > > box with Debian? Im using the "pon" command as the dialer in
> > > diald.options.
>
>    I found that using "pon" in /etc/diald/diald.options caused the link to disconnect
> after 30-60 seconds or so.  I had to adopt a more conventional script which uses just
> chat and which doesn't call pppd.
>
>    But I agree.  So many people rely on diald it should work more seamlessly with
> pppd.  This is an area which many people want to use, but one which is frustrating for
> newbies (and even semi-newbies like myself;-).
>
> --
>  Regards,              |Debian GNU/__     o http://www.debian.org
>  .                     |          / /    __  _  _  _  _ __  __
>  Randy                 |         / /__  / / / \// //_// \ \/ /
>  (redwards@ncia.net)   |        /____/ /_/ /_/\/ /___/  /_/\_\
>  Tech. Coord./Teacher  |    ...because lockups are for convicts...
>                        |What is or why Linux?  Click on the below:
>  http://www8.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/16/13/os1613.001.html
>

> --

                                  The man
PUBLIC DOMAIN, INC.          Of virtuous soul commands not, nor obeys:
P.O. Box 8899-0899           Power, like a desolating pestilence,
Atlanta, GA  30306           Pollutes whate'er it touches, and obedience,
VOX: 404.373.0980            Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth,
FAX: 404.378.3607            Makes slaves of men, and, of the human frame,
cprince@pd.org               A mechanised automaton.

                             --Percy Bysshe Shelley