Re: Weird crash with dhcpcd and X11

  Brandon> On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Mark H. Mabry wrote:
  >> Running Debian 2.0beta and 2.0.34 with a cable-modem.  I'm in the
  >> process of converting from modem ISP access to using this
  >> cable-modem.
  >>
  >> I get a complete lock-up of Linux when I try to run both X11 and
  >> dhcpcd.  I can run either one alone and things are fine.  But
  >> when I start X, after dhcpcd, I see the X server spew stuff to
  >> the screen, then the screen blanks, and SILENCE.  No X, no hard
  >> disk activity, nothing.

  Brandon> Maybe a hardware problem.  Check for irq conflicts with
  Brandon> your ethernet card.

Thanks!  I believe that you are correct.  As soon as I read your
message, it rang true.

Proving it wasn't as easy, though.  Looking in /proc/interrupts didn't
show any problem, because it didn't show my graphics card's (Riva 128
AGP) interrupt even when X was running.  Since I dual boot Win95 I
took a look there.  It showed that my ethernet card and my video card
share the same interrupt (IRQ 11).  Then I search DejaNews with the
new info and found people who had the exact ethernet card (3C905) and
video card and were having the same problem.  They suggesting moving
the ethernet card to a different PCI slot.

It was disappointing to see that Win95 can effectively share IRQ11 but
Linux cannot.

Mark Mabry				Tel: (978)250-3344 x264
Avici Systems Inc.			Fax: (978)250-3377
12 Elizabeth Dr.,			Email: mmabry@avici.com