FTP Installation Problem

I am unable to successfully access the Debian packages using dselect
through a dail-up ISP.  I loaded the Hamm version using floppy disks
created from the binary files from the ftp site as instructed in the
install document.  I have checked the pppconfig files and confirmed the
currect /dev/ttyS#, IP addresses, the provider, provider's phone number,
username and password.  When I choose select Access method of ftp in the
dselect program, I answer the directory information questions (maybe
this might be my problem, I may have the wrong directory information--is
it /pub/debian, dists/unstable/main, dists/unstable/contrib?).  After
answering the final question, the message returns the error message:
"Failed to connect.  Retry connection at once[y]:"  This is followed by
another error message:  "FTP error-error at
/usr/lib/per15/Debian/dpkgftp.pm line 81, <STDIN> chunk10  query/setup
script returned error exit status1. Press return to continue."  Also, I
am unsure of the question, "Enter Debian directory."  Do I setup my own
directory on my hard drive or do I re-enter the site of the packages?
Any other tips on installing from the ftp site would be helpful.

Thanks,

Brian

barmstro@werewolf.net