Re: Bo pppd not support IPX?

Tim Thomson <tim@tui.ml.org> wrote:

> I've being trying to get a Win95 machine to dialin with a IPX connecting,
> but adding the settings for IPX as per the man page, causes pppd to fail,
> saying that the ipx settings are invalid.
> I take it this means the pppd isn't compiled with IPX support, as ipx is
> enables in the kernel.

Probably pppd in the Bo ppp package is not compiled with IPX support.
At least, the Bo ppp packages I used were crippled in terms of IPX,
but I don't know if a Bo update of package ppp solved this problem.

> Why not? Is it enabled in the hamm one?
> I don't want to upgrade to hamm on this system yet, so I'll need to
> download another pppd, where from?

The ppp package in Hamm has IPX support and in fact I am using it
(works perfectly).

If you want to stick to Bo you can always grab the source package for
ppp and compiled it yourself, enabling IPX support.

Eloy A. Paris
Information Technology Department
Rockwell Automation Venezuela
Telephone: +58-2-9432311 Fax: +58-2-9431645