Re: Linux/WinNT dual booting (an idea...)

On Thu, 02 Jul 1998, Kendrick Myatt wrote:
>I'm not sure if my plan will work, but hopefully I'll find out this
>weekend.  Feel free to save me the trouble if someone else has
>already tried this and it doesn't work...  Actually I just realized
>that I may not have time this weekend... but anyway...
>
>My first hard drive has DOS and Win98 on it.
>My second drive had NT5 on it.
>My third drive has the Debian.
>
>NT must control the boot sector on the first drive, so I'm making
>win98 the default startup and setting it to present menu always.
>From there I can F4 or choose to boot to DOS which will prompt me
>with the DOS multi-config menu where I will choose either DOS or to
>run loadlin and boot linux.  With the exception of using the loadlin,
>all the other parts have been done and work fine to let me into the
>other 3 OS...

Since you're already using the NT boot loader, why don't you just add
linux to the NT boot loader menu rather than using loadlin?  I used to
have NT 4, DOS, and Linux and I used the NT boot loader to decide
which to boot to.  I forget exactly how to set up the NT boot
loader, but I know it wasn't hard... I believe I found the info in a
HOWTO somewhere.  I know that I had to use dd to rip the boot sector
from my linux partition into a file, put that in my NT root directory,
and add an entry to the config file for the NT boot loader.

Eric.

 --
 _____  _
| ____|(_)