RE: xhost

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu wrote:

: Ok, so the gov't thinks strong encryption is munitions so you can't export it.
: Why have non-us.debian.org: You can't import it either? Or you just can't use
: it at all in the US?

Uh, you can import and use the software, but you can't _export_ it from
the US.  So, if the FTP site is outside the US, there's no problem (as
long as it's in a free country.  I think a crypto FTP site in France
would be a Bad Idea).

: .....Not like making _rules_ about import and export can actually stop what
: people do with source available on the net?..... Surely if you are a criminial
: of the sort that the govt is so intent on stopping, then you would have no
: problem with using illegally electronically exported/imported encryption code?

You are applying logic to what is clearly an illogical debate.  Stop
that :)

: Any good sites explaining the matter?

The docs in either PGP package do a good job of explaining the issues,
as well as giving you an overview of when encryption does and doesn't
work well.  I believe their website has some good info too, but I'm too
lazy to check right now :)  There are a gazillion newsgroups which
discuss crypto - you may or may not get good answers there depending on
the s/n ratio.

You could also try ftp.csua.berkeley.edu, the "Official Cypherpunk
Repository", or visit the home of the Electronic Frontier Foundation,
http://www.eff.org/

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104