Re: smbmount /usr possible?

Gunnar Strand <Gunnar.Strand@um.erisoft.se> writes:

> I've recently gotten myself a little local network and have decided
> to run my old 486 as server for exporting its large HD by using samba.
> My new PC (the client) has both Linux and Win95 bootable + the old
> 1GB HD. Now, I want to minimize the Linux partition on my client and
> smbmount the /usr directory from my server. The target is to share
> every little file that is sharable to maximize the usage of the HD.
>
> The best would be (I suppose) to have the same /usr mounted on both
> hosts. However, debian seems to use /usr to store vital installation
> information which will cause conflicts if I manage to smbmount that
> directory.

What do you mean by "vital installation information"? Debian strives
to put every configuration file into /etc, so I guess I didn´t
understand the problem.

If you run Debian on both machines, there´s no easy solution for
keeping the dpkg database up to date on both servers.

I would try mounting /usr from the server with the big hd and
propagate /etc in another way.

Jens
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37

Nothing works better as it is supposed to. (Steven Chu)