De: Ian Eure
A: Barbelet, Philippe
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Objet: Re: 2 ethernet cards  (more ...)
Date: jeudi 25 juin 1998 01:14

Microsoft Mail v3.0 IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Ian Eure
To:  Barbelet, Philippe
Cc:  debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject:  Re: 2 ethernet cards  (more ...)
Date: 1998-06-25 01:14

---- --

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 12:08:07PM -0700, Philippe BARBELET wrote:
> Hi Debian friends,
>
> I have 2 ISA 3C509 ethernet cards in my PC.
>
> At boot time, the system says :
>
> 3c509: WARNING! Module load-time probing works reliably only for EISA
> and MCA bus!!
> eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, address  00 20 af 34 e8 44,
> IRQ 3.
> 3c509.c:1.07 6/15/95 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
>
> My lilo.conf file is correctly configured :
>
> 	append="ether=0,0,eth1"
>
> but the system doesn't see the second card. I think that the probing
> test doesn't work
> correctly.
>
> If I put just 1 card at a time, the card is always recognized.
IIRC, the kernel boot paramaters only work if the driver is compiled
into the
kernel. If you are compiling it as a module (eg default Debian setup)
you need
to edit /etc/conf.modules and add a line like:
``options 3c509 io=0xAAA,0xBBB irq=CC,DD''
where 0xAAA and CC are for eth0, and 0xBBB and DD are for eth1. Note
that I'm
not certain about the specific parameters, you might want to read the
driver
source if it dosen't work- alternatively, you could just recompile your
kernel
with the 3c509 driver in the kernel instead of a module.
| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :