Two 'gcc's? Yea or Nay?

As is my wont, I experiment with stuff on an old RH4.2 install (except as
noted recently in this venue, my foray in Gnomeification-From-Source, which I
carried out wily-nily on this Debian 1.3 system).

I recently built from source, on the olde RH, egcs 1.0.2; said build process
is certainly a sight to behold! egcs installed its binary into /usr/local/bin.
So, depending on which path is active (su or user) I get either GNU gcc or
egcs when I bang 'gcc' into the keyboard.

I would like to put egcs on this Debian 1.3 system (which, with the imminent
release of 2.0 CD's will most likely become my next "experimental" victim) but
it now occurs to me to ask what caveats I should observe upon accomplishing
that.

Should I rename /usr/bin/gcc (the GNU gcc) and then put a symlink in that dir
to point to /usr/local/bin/gcc? Perhaps there are other changes I ought to
make?

It occurs to me that perhaps during some 'make install' - when I have become
su - that I might befuddle something via installing it with GNU gcc after I
have built it with egcs' "gcc".

Does this make any sense at all?

Ruminations, reminiscences, reproaches, all gladly examined! TIA.

Bob Bernstein      bernie@brainiac.com       http://www.brainiac.com/bernie
at
Esmond, R.I.       ftp://rupturedduck.dyn.ml.org  (sometimes)