Re: 2.0 Beta Party...

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 12:19:45PM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > We already *did* get rid of most of the bugs, otherwise we wouldn't even
> > release a beta. The point is that we think it is quite stable now, and can
> > be recommended to users who can't wait any day longer.
>
> Here's a question for you. I'm running 1.3r8. I ran off the unstable
> tree for a long long time until the libc6 stuff started, then I held
> back.
>
> Now that hamm is ready to go, isn't the current unstable even better for
> people who normally feel the unstable tree is OK for them?

Why? Slink is mainly identical to hamm, the only differences is C++
development, apt, lintian, cruft, a few other packages.

Well, there are two things one should keep in mind:

1) An upgrade to hamm is a complete upgrade of at least the base system.
Better you upgrade all installed packages, to get a clean libc6 system.
This means, it is hard to *revert* the upgrade.

2) An upgrade to slink can be incremental. One package, two packages,
downgrading the other one that is not working to the version in hamm again, all
of this without a problem (there are exceptions, though).

This means, once you are in the hamm world, slink can be used like bo could
be used on a rexx system.

The current unstable (=slink) is probably buggy because not well tested
(probably not tested at all).

However, this is Debian: You have the freedom and possibility to choose
everything between cutting edge and rock stable.

Marcus