Re: Mounting 2nd Partition

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Dennis Dixon wrote:

> The first issue, do I have a swap partition activated and mounted?  When I
> boot I get the message "activating swap partition" but shouldn't it be in
> 'etc/mtab', 'proc/mounts', and 'mount -t swap'?

no it shouldn't.  swap partitions aren't really filesystems so they're
funny where mount and mtab is concerned.

Type 'free' and see how much swap space it says you have.

> The second issue, is a separate partition (hda6) which I have allocated the
> vast majority of my memory space to. This clearly doesn't exist at all.
> Trying to remedy this, I booted from my rescue disk, activated and mounted
> hda2 as root, then activated and mounted hda6 as usr2.  After exiting the
> rescue disk and rebooting I did have a 'usr2' directory, but it was located
> in hda2.
>
> Also, in 'etc/init.d/boot' the command 'mount -avt nonfs, noproc' exists.
> (Possibly this is helpful information)

Don't edit your startup scripts unless you know what you're doing.

> Are there commands that I can use to permanently activate and mount
> partitions without using the rescue disk?

List the filesystem in /etc/fstab and if will mount at boot time (unless
you use the noauto option)

> When I do this, is it safe to mount hda6 as '/usr' or will this wipe out all
> the existing data on /usr in hda2?  (The solution is to mount hda6 as usr2,
> 'cp usr usr2', then rename usr2 to usr somehow?)

It won't wipe out the data, it will cover it up though.  As long as you
have something mounted on a directory the stuff in that directory is
hidden until you unmount the offending filesystem.

Here's the procedure....

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda6 /usr2
cp -a /usr/* /usr2/      < confirm the options on this one >
Now edit your fstab to mount /dev/hda6 as /usr
shutdown -r now

this is all as root of course.

> Also, how do you exit the 'rescue' disk correctly?  'Cancel' always brings
> the menu screen up, so I end up just turning off the computer.  Possibly
> this is why hda6 didn't get mounted.

Has nothing to do with why hda6 isn't mounting (see above).  A shutdown -r
now should do it, or a control-alt-del

Nate

---
Nathan C. Burnett              "Everyone is born right-handed, but
nate@acm.org                      only the greatest overcome it."
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~burnet26    -Slogan, Left-Handers' Club of Ireland
            ( ( (((In Stereo Where Available))) ) )