Re: /etc/init.d/boot message?

> Please, don't do this because if you have a wrong boot sequence (or a
> problem in it)
>  you won't see it and can be stopped whith no way to resolve your
> problem.
>
> Use the command "dmesg | more" to see you boot sequence after booting
> or go in the /var/adm directory. There, you'll find the "messages" file
> which receive most of the system messages. You'll find several log files
> also
> that you can edit.

Neither dmesg, nor messages, nor the other log files are complete.  You
could get the output of the rc scripts to both the screen and a file
using the tee command:

[...]
l3:3:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 3 2>&1 | /usr/bin/tee /var/adm/rc3.log

However I wouldn't be sure that i/o redirection works at all in inittab.
is `/etc/init.d/rc 3' executed by sh or bash?  I would guess it is
execed by a forked copy of init, which probably doesn't do i/o
redirection.  Anyone who knows?

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032