How to use apt-get to get "New" packages...

Hello,

  I've been trying out the latest version of the apt package (0.0.16-1)
and everything is working fine except for one small area.

  Does anyone know how, when using apt-get, to have a way to update or
list the "New" packages?  Not updating the packages that I already have
on my system.

  I've been using dftp and liked the way that I was able to pick which
new packages I want to download.

  I realize that the answer may be "to use dselect".  Just wondering if
there was another method available.

Thanks,

Steve Mayer
smayer@rtd.com