Re: help! NT4 destroyed my Linux partitions!

Paul Miller wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Paul Miller wrote:
>
> > boot Linux -- a kernel panic occours and it claims that it can't read the
> > superblock.
> >
> > I've tried booting off the "Debian Boot Disk" and the "Debian Rescue Disk"
> > and I still get the same results.  I can not mount _any_ partitions that
> > are on the same disk as NT.
>
> Sounds like you trashed your partition table when you installed NT.

Any way to repair it?  Is fdisk /mbr (in dos) safe?

I don't think that this is the right way, because fdisk /mbr (in dos) onlywrites a new mbr on the first disk.

> > Any ideas?  Are there any programs for NT that will allow me to view the
> > Linux partitions?

If NT 4.0 has formated the new partitions, there is no way to bring back the old partitionsbut if NT only writes a new partition table then if you write the _exact_ old partition back
you will be able to mount the old partition.

And it would work,... I had the same problem, but i was sure, that NT has not formated the new partitions...

good luck

--
Alexander Gun
Alexander.Gun@cip.bauwesen.tu-muenchen.de