Can't get Perl5.004.04 to compile on Bo

I'm trying to compile perl5.004.04 on my debian 1.3 system...  when I
run the configure script I get a problem when it trys to link with the
dl library (libdl).  libdl is in /lib...  I don't see any other
packages (I did install dld, though I don't know if it's necessary,
it's not very descriptive)

Anybody have this compiled?  Anybody know what I'm doing wrong/missing?

Here's the [condensed] version of sh Configure -d in the perl directory.

[...]
Checking for optional libraries...
[...]
Found -ldb (shared).
[...]

Any additional libraries? [-lndbm -lgdbm -ldbm -ldb -ldl -ldld -lm -lc]
[...]

Checking your choice of C compiler, libs, and flags for coherency...
I've tried to compile and run a simple program with:

        cc -O2 -Dbool=char -DHAS_BOOL -I/usr/local/include
-L/usr/local/lib -o try try.c -lndbm -lgdbm -ldbm -ldb -ldl -ldld -lm
-lc
        ./try

and I got the following output:

ld: cannot open -ldl: No such file or directory
I can't compile the test program.
(The supplied flags might be incorrect with this C compiler.)

You have a BIG problem.  Shall I abort Configure (and explain the
problem)
[y]
Ok.  Stopping Configure.