Re: Partitioning questions.

In article <[🔎] 9806170850.AA12412@drfmc.ceng.cea.fr> you wrote:
[Klippa, klapp, kluppit prelude.]
: How should I do the partition ? i've "read" the Partition
: mini-Howto. Therefore I will anyway have:
:
: 	'/' <- a root partition,
: 	'/swap' <- a swap partition (32Mo).
:
: 	-1- To achieve what I want to do, I'll have to make a '/home'
: 	partition. Correct ?

Do you have any means to backup? No? Then that's a good idea.

: 	-2- my friend an I have a 3Go and 4Go HDs resp. How many
: 	space should I give to the root partition (M$ mu$hroom will also
: 	be present: ~400Mo) ? That's the bootable partition and therefore, it
: 	will contains all the system file. True ?

Yes and no. If you're only planning to have / and /home, then
yes. Personally I have a small root (for less corruption likelyhood
when the system crashes or the power goes (no crash yet, which wasn't
self-inflicted, for two years)), and then mount /home /usr and /var,
which are bigger. In this case, the answer is no. / is 64MB (not
anywhere near full), /home 500MB (always full - hehe - the usual
problem), /usr 500MB (a little cramped, next time I'll let it be
700MB) and /var 120MB (plenty of room, but if you expect a lot of
mail/news traffic perhaps bigger is necessary).

: 	-3- Once I've my Debian CDs, how to overwrite the RH files ?

Just let the installation re-initialise your partitions (not /home of
course).

Cocteau Twins, Blue Bell Knoll,

							MartinS