Re: Desperate for Optical Character Recognition

Don Berkich <berkich@philos.umass.edu> writes:

> >Does anyone know of any OCR software available for Linux? Preferably
> >something that will plug into gimp with SANE and xscanimage - but anything will
> >do, console mode or X - I'm dying never to have to reboot to Windoze again! :).
>

> Me too!
>
> There is an old project, xocr (located at sunsite under apps/graphics).
> I don't know how good it is, because I haven't be able to get it to
> compile.  There are evidently some libraries required I don't have.  If
> anyone has gotten xocr compiled let me know, I'd be interested in
> finding out how you did it.

I have compiled it, but I don't remember doing anything special to get
it to compile.  I have purged it, since it wasn't reliable enough to
be worth using.  I estimated it had an error rate of about 20% of the
characters.  That means that at least 50% of all words were wrong,
which I consider to be totally useless.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org