Re: The juggernaught expands?

On Thu, Jun 18, 1998 at 11:32:24AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:33:36 -0400, sjc@delphi.com wrote:
>
> >Definitly. And lucky for us...it will be impossible for Uncle Bill to force
> >Linux users to install IE. Oh and another great "Feature" that comes with IE
> >ActiveX.
>
>     The Mac version doesn't have AX, something tells me a Linux version
> wouldn't either.

Thats good to hear...well...its as good as it is bad...
I mean really...I wont use it anyway...I liek Netscape so much more

> >Exactly! And thats exactly why I wont use their products, even if they come
> >out for linux. I mean I understand that they are a buisness and it is their
> >job to make money...not to make people happy.
>
>     Why is it that people always assume that making money and making people
> happy are always mutually exclusive?

Now...I never said making money and makin gpeople happy are mutually
exclusive. The problem is that often it can be the case that they are.
The road which makes the MOST money often does not take the well
being and happiness of the customer into mind.

My gripe with microsoft is simple to me. I work with computers because
I enjoy it. If it wasn't for the fact that I am so in love with them,
I wouldn't be here typing now. Microsoft is out for money. They
put together their systems solely for money..and that is obvious.

I think of them as the restraunt that could make their hamburgers
with grade A or B meat and make a good meal, and still make a profit,
but instead decides to serve you grade D meat and still charge the
same price. The Denny's of the software industry (I havge eaten once
at Denny's and I think that the analogy is a good one)

If it wasn't for their buisness tactics (using their muscle to make
people sign contracts saying that they will only sell PCs with Windows
on it, and forceing IE onto every desktop) I wouldn't hasve much of
a problem with them. I still wouldn't use their software unles they
improved it...but...I woul dbe able to tolerate them more

-Steve

> --
>              Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
>     http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my
>              ICQ: 5107343              | skills and labor, not my opinions!

** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"I am an agnostic; I do not pretend to know what many ignorant men are
sure of."
-- Clarance Darrow