what goes into .xinitrc and what into .xsession

i tried to figure out while setting up the system whats supposed to go
under the .xinitrc file and what into .xsession. Because I tried to
use .xinitrc first to initialise stuff (like chosing window manager)
but it won't work, so i put the things in .xsession and the most did,
exept that every time that people tell me where to change
configuration they tell me to put stuff in .xinitrc so i wondered.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Thanx
Also how do i load the modules for fvwm2? they won't load for me with
an error message saying that they should be called from inside fvwm (i
tried t load them from inside fvwm2 but it didn't work)
And how do i set a back groung pix under fvwm2 and afterstep (can it
be jpeg?)