Boot Messages

I'm sure this is a FAQ, but I seem to have lost my start-up messages
since upgrading to hamm. Everything used to go into /var/log/*, and
my /etc/syslog.conf hasn't changed, but I don't seem to have much
in /var/log any more.

Anyone know where it goes now, or what's changed, or how to scroll
the console back?

Otherwise, the upgrade to hamm was pretty hassle free.

Couple of problems I had though were:

  I had to recompile the kernel to get my psaux mouse back before
  xdm would start X properly again, as the upgrade booted a newly
  installed kernel rather than my existing 3.0.33 kernel.

  I installed kernel headers for 3.0.32 as something depended on this
  package, although  I already had kernel sources fo 3.0.33 as I needed
  this before the upgrade to drive my ISDN card. Dselect wanted the new
  kernel source and image packages though, and they installed fine,
  although the installation scripts set the /usr/src/linux link
  to kernel-headers.3.0.32.

  I had to re-edit all the config files to get my afterstep settings
  back. This was fine after I found the new config files (the setup
  doesn't copy them all to each user's directory).

  My ISP connection from linux doesn't work anymore (that's why I'm
  posting from Windoze). I have edited all the configuration files
  under /etc/isdn and removed my old rc.connect from /etc/init.d,
  but what do I do to actually bring the connection up?

Sorry for all the supplementary questions, but thanks in advance for
any suggestions, and there's plenty of cool new stuff in hamm
to make it worthwhile.

Shiraz Sayani.