smarthosts and sendmail or whatever

Yes, I can resolve outside names (pinging and "netscaping").  I'm not
familiar with a smarthost.  Does that have to do with SMTP or sendmail?
Isn't there some
other sort of SMTP services I need to be running? (read transcript
below)

Brian Morgan

can you resolve names outside greenville.edu (try pinging one or
netscaping to one like www.debian.org or sunsite.unc.edu)?

are you using a smarthost?
         --Will Lowe