1021 cylinders(?), 8.4GB, and FreeBSD

I've been trying to add a freebsd to a spare partition, but I'm running into a
bit of oddness.

I have an 8.4gb maxtor.  I have an initial partition of something like 100Mb
for /boot, so that it could be boot from.  After this partition, I am
attempting to put a freebsd.  Which is where it gets odd.

During starup I get a report of 16k or so cylinders.  But when I head into the
bios, or fdisk under either bsd or debian, I get a report of 1021 cylinders,
255 heads, 63 sectors.  (hmm, that's debian; i think bsd said 999 sectors).

The bios offers a couple of options for the geometry of the disk.  LSB,
normal, and something else.  It also notes that some OS's such as SCO require
normal; would this be the case for FreeBSD as well?

I don't recall changing to the 1021 format, and the sizing of the /boot as
well as another long-gone partition was set so that they'd both end up
(entirely) within the first 1023.

Can I change my disk geometry now?  Or will this kill everything?  Or is there
another way to boot FreeBSD?  as near as I can tell, even with the floppy, it
wants it's root partition in the first 1023, even when using the boot
diskette; and in spite of my alleged geometry, it gives a report of "C> 1023
exceeded" or some such.

hmm, I suppose I could put / onto the scsi zip . . .

rick

Or does someone know another way
--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.