Re: Startup files disappeared [Urgent!]

I went into dselect and removed the package file-rc.  Now it is in a state:
file-rc      removed (configs remain);  remove (was: remove).  Extra

...and everything is back in the /etc directory... all the init.d files are still there
and all the rc#/d directories are back, and symbolic links are recreated in their
respective run level directory.

I don't ever remember touching this package before (file-rc), what is it's story?
is it needed?  Should I hit reinstall in dselect?

--Jay